Thursday, May 8, 2014

Moments to Treasure / by Robin Livingston


I spent a few days this week looking after my 3 year old granddaughter and having adventures. Not all adventures are huge and breathtaking. There is plenty of excitement in the ordinary little things that fill our days when you see them through the wondering eyes of a child.  Spending time with Evaine brings out the inner child in me though I can’t quite match her boundless energy. I may be weary when I go home tomorrow but I will be richer by far than I was when I arrived.

 

Arms outstretched and a shout of welcome,

“Come play with me, Baba!”

Plastic cookies served with make believe tea and grave politeness

Towers of blocks carefully constructed and gleefully demolished

Shrieks of laughter as we chase a purple ball back and forth across the lawn

Heads bent together as we examine and count the leaves on a sprig of clover

Waving at our shadows as they stretch out in front of us in the morning sun

A wagon load of treasures discovered and examined along the way to the park

Rocks and pine cones and flowers and seeds, wondrous “stuff” to show Mommy and Daddy

Endless games of Hide and Seek and Follow the Leader

Marching and jumping and flapping our arms as we try to fly like the geese overhead

Absolute trust and joyful abandon

 “Can I see? Can I come? Can I help? That was FUN!!”

Kisses that heal and giggles and hugs

The first fuzzy caterpillar seen this year

Warm snuggles and sleepy yawns as we say goodnight at the end of the day

 
It doesn’t get much better than that. I’ll carry the memories home in my pockets and take them out when I need reminding.  Every day is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment